Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Road, Debt and a Skirt

Spent the weekend reading Cormick McCarthy's unrelentlessly bleak book The Road about an unnamed man and his son travelling through a post-apocalyptic America. It is spare, compelling, frightening and makes you want to hug your children and love the planet more. I've also been listening to Margaret Attwood's lectures based on her amazingly prescient new book, “Payback: Debt and the Shadow Side of Wealth”. Written before the global financial meltdown, it basically is an argument that the developed world needs to change the way in which we conceptualise debt and in doing do may create a better future for ourselves and our children. Attwood is intelligent and witty - an easy listen.
Sewing - just a bit. I completed the muslin for my skirt based on view A of
http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8426.htm?tab=skirts_pants_includes_designer&page=2 and cut it out. My husband was reading in the upstairs lounge were I do my sewing, so haven't begun yet.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I just sailed on over after your comment on my blog and had to tell you that I have just finished reading the same book! Cormac McCarthy is compelling reading; I find him almost unbearable to read, yet I can't stop. I hope you have better luck with the skirt than I did. All the others I've seen looked great. I'm thinking of trying again with some stretch denim I have left over from this weekend's sewing, but I am beginning to suspect that the problem lies more with my shape than the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your skirt! I've been trying to decide between V8426 and the new Sandra Betzina (not out in Aus yet, but available online) V1082 - arrgh!

    Hmmm - one can never have too many flattering curvy skirts, though, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We read The Road for my bookclub last year... it IS very difficult to read at times, so much horroble stuff.. But weirdly I also found it very hopeful- the man and his son kept surviving, kept up their faith at every point that they didn't need to turn to evil to get them through... and every time something came to help them. I'm not a religious person but it really brought to mind the necessity of never giving in to despair. You're right, we've gotta start loving the world a lot more! I shall have to look out for the Margaret Atwood lectures they sound really interesting.
    Thanks so much for your comment on my pants! Glad to have found your blog :o)

    ReplyDelete