Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Studio Faro Dinner Shirt

Anita at Studio Faro is working to expand her range of patterns.  I was thrilled to test her dinner shirt pattern which I started back in July before I went overseas.

I'm ashamed to say this sat finished but without buttonholes for nearly a month. Last night I dragged myself to the machine and did the deed.

Anita's pattern isn't available on her website yet, but look out for it.  She describes it as a "production-ready women's shirt pattern in nine sizes 6-22".  The instructions and seam allowances are geared to commercial construction, but not beyond the home sewer.

My vintage John Kaldor fabric worked really well with the pattern but tends to hard the design lines.  This traditional tailored shirt features a dinner shirt bib panel with princess seams, double layer back yoke and full gathered sleeves with continuous placket.  

I made a size 12 with adjustments only to the length which is suited to someone around 5 ft 7 in.  Next time I make this shirt - and there will be a next time - I'll add about a cm to the bust for wearing ease, but otherwise I'm very happy with the fit and practicality of the design. I'll also make more of a feature of the bib, perhaps with pleating or fabric variation.

I've finished a few other garments so will make the effort to post.  Love to hear your comments, meanwhile happy sewing!

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Sparkly business

Couldn't let lack of a willing photographer get in the way of showing off my latest business wear.  It's all a little bit sparkly with a subtle metallic back thread.

I love the 70's vibe of the jacket.  It is begging for a button down A-line skirt, but for the time being I've teamed it with a flip skirt, Burda September 2014, no.104.

The pattern for the jacket is from January 2008 Burda magazine (no.117).  The details are great, especially the extra large cuffs with an extra decorative band.  The leather trim was the result a "happy accident".  I cut the garment and forgot to trace the collar stand.  There wasn't enough of the brocade left to cut the piece.  The Fabric Store had run out of the original fabric but did have an unusually small skin of soft lambskin in the perfect collar.  My old friend Mick from Mick's Buttonholes at Alexandria did the studs.  May he never shut his doors!

I've also completed two blouses and a striped skirt since my last post.  I've been promoted recently and I'm spending more of my free time sewing than my blogging about it.  Not sure what is coming up next, so until my next catch up happy sewing!