Saturday, September 14, 2013

Valedictory victory and something for you!


The sewing fairy has been active at my house, but the blogging fairy flew away while we celebrated high school graduation, valedictory dinner, Jewish New Year and Day of Atonement.
 
So what has the sewing fairy been up to?   Drafting pencil skirts based on a block being sold online by the lovely Anita McAdam at Studio Faro.  
 
So far I've made one in  pale grey wool and this yellow and blue guipure lace skirt for my daughter's valedictory dinner.   The fabric was a roll end from the Fabric Store in Sydney.  I love the skirt but I lost some of the tapered effect through ensuring that the scallops matched at the hem line. No biggie.
 
I am very pleased with my daughter's dress - a 'frankenpattern'.  The bottom half is from Vogue 8928 and the top half from vintage Vogue 9539.  I changed the back view to mirror the cutaways in the front.  The fabric - a cotton sateen - was bought a few years ago for about $3 a metre from the Remnant Warehouse in Sydney.  I lined the skirt with the same fabric and the top half with navy silk, creating a very clean finish and super comfortable  against the skin.  I'll post some interior photos of each of these outfits along with my grey skirt soon.

I also have to tell you about it the pattern pyramid I've won and must pass on.


This pyramid of patterns has had quite a journey down under travelling via Karen at Did You Make That? to dottie doodle to jessie kay makes to Down the Retro Rabbit Hole  to Rachel of House of Pinheiro to Almond Rock to Oanh of Unique Schmuck to the curious kiwi  to The Perfect Nose, and finally to Clio and Phineas where I won it. 
The idea is that you take one item and add at least one item before sending it on to the next winner.  Clio took the shirt pattern in the original group picture and added these two great patterns.
I was torn between the Burda magazine and one of Clio's  additions - the Anne Klein pattern. 
So I decided I would take both and add three patterns.  A great coat pattern Vogue 8862 and evening wear New Look 6401 and a vintage offering (pictured below) which I think still has resonance today.
To win the pattern pyramid just post a comment on this site.  I'll draw the winner in a week.








20 comments:

  1. Gail, you both look gorgeous. Your lace choice is lovely and your self drafted skirt fits you really well. Your daughter's dress is stunning. Congratulations to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your daughter both look gorgeous! Your lace is to die for! Your daughter's dress looks both fresh and modern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your skirt is a really good fit, the fabric for it and your daughter's dress are beautiful. I love the neckline on the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous skirt Gail and the navy top looks very smart. Love the dress for your daughter. Look forward to seeing further details. Please don't include me in the pattern pyramid draw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you've been busy! Beautiful dress and beautiful skirt! (No need to count me in).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You both look gorgeous. Looking forward to hearing more of the construction. Don't count me in with the pattern pyramid - I have more than enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should be very proud. Both your outfits looks lovely. I love the lace you chose for your skirt; the colours are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and your daughter look absolutely fabulous! Your lace skirt is perfect -- the scallops along the hem really make it special. Your daughter's dress fits beautifully. No need to include me in the pattern pyramid as I have too many patterns. Congratulations to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You both look absolutely gorgeous! Mazel tov on your dd's graduation and L'shana tova.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gail you look stunning in your new skirt, as does your daughter. Congrats to her on graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That lace skirt is incredible and you wear it so well. Congratulations to your daughter on such a wonderful accomplishment. Throw my name in for the pattern pyramid:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beutiful daughter you have and she is so lucky to have a mother that sews such pretty dresses for her. Your skirt is very pretty. Oh, my you are both adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. I love seeing something cut out at sewing group and then seeing it all finished and styled. You both look absolutely fantastic. I love your skirt with the blouse and shoes. Just perfect. And your daughter looks just stunning as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both of you are stunning. I am gald to see that your daughter is turning into a beautiful young lady.
    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful ladies and beautiful outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous outfit's for such a special occasion! Congratulations to your daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Gail, your outfit is beautiful and worthy of special celebrations. I love your lace skirt, the colors are terrific on you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Many congratulations on your daughter's achievement! The best is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You both look absolutely stunning, your daughters dress is a very clever combination of patterns and the fabric on your lace skirt is really something special.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Gail
    What a fantastic sewing effort - you both look gorgeous.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete