Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Ladies that lunch dress

I'm really not sure about this dress. It certainly doesn't have 'hanger appeal' but looks much better on, worn with a black singlet and black boots. The fabric is very light cotton with a metallic sheen and embroidered border. I'm calling it my 'ladies that lunch' dress because I can't see myself wearing it to the office, but would happily wear it with sandals or boots for a lunch or coffee outing.
I bought this fabric ages ago in Armidale NSW, and I reckon I needed my head read. It just isn't me. I originally planned to make a Burda coatdress with shirring at the waist. Unfortunately I didn't have enough fabric and was left to ponder what on earth I'd do with it.
I was immediately attracted to Burda Style 02/10 127 because it didn't have any seams to break up the embroidered border. I've shortened the sleeves and added a cuff to balance the border pattern on the hem.
While the look is fine, the fabric is way too light for collar. I haven't ironed or stitched down the join of the collar on the front, so it looks a little lumpier than it actually is. If I make this again, I would use a heavier wool crepe. I've never inserted in under arm zip - quite proud of my efforts on that score.

12 comments:

  1. I like the silvery look on fabrics lately. Boots with this dress sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love the border embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric. Nice work Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this very much and I agree that it would look great with boots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful fabric. Grays and silvers are the new black!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this dress. This fabric is very unique-with black boots it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very stylish and like how you have incorporated some of the border into the cuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great dress. The fabric is beautiful - I really like the embroidered border.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fabric is really beautiful and the style is great --- I've been meaning to make this dress. Good to know that a heavier fabric like a crepe will work well for the pattern. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work on thay Zipper . Having just now taken a break from my sewing after spendin 1&1/2 hours on an invisible zipper using my new I.zipper foot, I envy your results,Gail.Nice dress.Love the grey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too love the fabric... this is a winner to me! The ladies I lunch with... slacks and blouses... you would really outclass them all! Great job!

    ReplyDelete