Sunday, November 29, 2009

Short black


This is one of two formal dresses that I'm making for my DD. It is a refashion from a French lace pencil skirt that I've had since before she was born. I bought it from a recycled fashion store then, so I think is from the mid 80s.
The base is the original skirt cut at the hips and pleated in to fit the bodice.
The bodice is made from my self drafted pattern using Thai silk and cutings of the lace for a modern, edgy look. I've used boning and it fits well except for just under the bust. This could have been cinched in more.
I was really reluctant to take it in further because we had a disaster with the purple gown. After inserting the zip, it was too tight to do up. The combination of DD going "tighter Mum, tighter" and the gathering in effect of my pleating made the bodice much smaller than the original fitting. After shedding tears, I got out the seam ripper, added some black tape very close to the edge of fabric that the invisible zip will now sit on. I also removed the waistband and added some absolutely gorgeous purple and pewter beaded trim. I will definitely finish it a day or so. It is being worn on 9th December so I am running out of time.
I don't think I'll get my outfit finished - but I have plenty of party frocks. Besides, I'm the Mum. Who cares what I'm wearing.




18 comments:

  1. The little black dress is stunning, what a terrific refashion.
    How horrible that the purple dress got too tight.I am so pleased that you could save it with some tape. You are a brave lady, I would have stomped on it a few thousand times whilst weeping, and not have been able to think of how to fix it- or how to remove my foot marks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a shame about the purple dress. It shows great character that you are persevering with modifications. Can't wait to see it on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great refasion! The black dress is great! I'm glad that you found a fix for the purple dress. After all that work, it needs to be worn!! I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! she look stunning. the little black dress looks very chic and modern. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks absolutely amazing in that gorgeous dress. You are so creative to make this from a skirt. I can feel your pain about the purple dress! I'm glad you are going to be able to make it work. I went back and read your honest scraps and I'm enthralled!! I have led such a boring life compared to most people but definitely compared to you!!! I must have missed that post when you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We care what you're wearing! :) Glad you will get back into that purple dress and see it to completion. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic refashion!Well done Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous dress! I am sorry about the other one, I know how it must have felt. Sounds like it will be lovely anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think you did a great job. looks great on your dtr.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool black dress, and I love that you were able to refashion one of your dresses for your daughter! I'm glad to hear you found a fix for the purple dress --- can't wait to see the finished version!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a post I could have written. Kudos to you for tackling a tough project—sewing for teenage DDs! I think they are the toughest clients by far and you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your daughter looks gorgeous - what a lovely line on the bodice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos - good luck with the other dress - you are very patient!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a kind comment. I love what you're making for your daughter. I appreciate that you post your thought process. It is interesting to see how you overcome an obstacle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute dress you have created!! I have been anxious to see the purple dress. I am sorry to hear it got too tight, but I am relieved you figured out a way to work around it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you're doing here for your daughter....it's so much fun, and so empowering for her and for you - not having to depend upon store buyers, designers or anyone else to choose what's good for you or your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi!
    There is a giveaway on my blog.
    To participate click the link on the post "Ugg Boot giveaway"!

    ReplyDelete