Sunday, November 1, 2009

And remember ladies...no turbans

The Melbourne Cup is the race that stops the nation and a celebration of fashion. Check out this short video history of Cup fashion. I wore this fascinator and frock ensemble to a charity MC luncheon today. As you can see, I'm 'following trend' but very low key. I have a another 2 metres of this fabric which I hope to make into a more casual long dress featuring the spots on the sleeves in a panel down the centre front.

And the cryptic title of this post? Comes from a piece of Cup fashion advice from the early 70s that my friend Di and I still giggle about.

And here are a few more work in progress shots of the formal dress. I am getting faster.

12 comments:

  1. Your dress is very pretty, and looks like it fits you perfectly. I enjoyed the video. Love those hats! That event, with all the gala, is like our Kentucky Derby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that fabric and I really like your understated hat. Your shoes are very nice, too. Strappy and summery, but with good coverage on the toe area so your feet don't slide all over the place. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress is lovely. The fabric is really terrific and unique. One of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the top of this dress. All those coordinating fabrics look so lovely together. Well done, a great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your dress! The fabric is gorgeous and I have always wanted to wear a fascinator!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely dress and fascinator is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress is stunning. I just love paisley, especially in this mauve color, since paisley is usually seen only in darker colors.

    Did you use mesh fabric on the sleeves?? Is the polka dot fabric a completely different fabric?? I just love all the details on this! It may rival the formal dress you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous dress - how did you hold up in the craaaazy heat? Lots of champagne I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely dress - you look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That fascinator is so cool! You look wonderful in the entire outfit!

    ReplyDelete