Saturday, July 25, 2009

Colour me red

Here is the first of my new coloured items to wear with the Missoni coat or on their own. I plan to wear this outfit with my Kenneth Cole chocolate brown suede boots that I bought in NY a few years back. I also like it with the brass belt that I bought at the thrift shop recently for $8.

This dress is based on BWOF 07/08 106. I did not include the gathers in front or on the sleeves as the fabric is quite heavy.


The pattern is quite simple to construct, but I had MAJOR problems fitting it at the neckline and shoulders. I've come to the conclusion that I need to work out a standard neck and shoulders alternation for Burda patterns because inevitably if I cut to the bust size I need (size 42) the shoulder seam is about half way down my arm! I also took about 1 and a half inches off the slope of the shoulders. The fit is now quite good, but something about it screams home made.


Perhaps I'm just being overly critical because I had such a hard time making it. Even my machine wasn't cooperating. The twin needling didn't work (missing stitches in one row) so I sewed each row of stitches on the hem separately.

15 comments:

  1. I've had things that were a labor of love too. I just take each project as a learning experience and keep on going. I really like your new out fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the dress looks beautiful and was well worth your effort. But I can't take my eyes off of your stunning Missoni coat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress looks nice on the form. If you first fit the shoulder/neckline of your garment with whatever pattern size those measurements call for, it's fairly simple then to alter the rest of the bodice to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color. I agree with Gwen and need to follow the advice. Cutting to fit the shoulder and upper area. Then doing a FBA, and for my short waist a petit adjustment. I always worry about fitting the bust first, but it is the shoulders and armholes which are hard to fix not the bust. I need to learn to do FBAs better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress looks very fine,not screaming at all!Will look great with your coat. I agree with the comments above from Gwen adn Cindy. Every BWOF I have to fit shoulders first (they seem to be huge on me) and after that the rest is routine. Have you considered a coverlock machine? I will never use a twin needle again and they finish knit edges professionally!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress is gorgeous; I think it just needs a little time in the 'magic closet'....

    ReplyDelete
  7. The outfit looks fantastic, the color of the dress looks wonderful with the coat and I love the belt. Just allow some time after your struggle and you'll like your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great dress and coat! While it may scream home made to you (we are our own worst critics, aren't we?) it is my experience that everyone else will either presume you bought it, or , if they know you sew, tell you how clever you are to be able to make something like that!

    Now, I just accept the compliments -at one time I would point out all my 'mistakes' and would get strange looks, the 'what is she on about' type of look and the 'it looks fine to me' look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great color choices! I really like both pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We made the same dress this weekend! I had trouble with the facing. I'm finding I actually need a way smaller size in Burda than I normally do. I like your version very much and the jacket looks great with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The outfit looks fabulous. I love the colour combination, and the dress is simple enough to let the coat shine, but has enough detail to look very smart by itself. Fitting is the pits, but I bet it fits better than RTW.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dress looks nice, even if you do not sound quite happy with it. I have the same problem with some Burda patterns, I cut 38 for the upper part (shoulders, breast) of the pattern and more for the lower, especially when I cut dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a very nice dress. I'm sure I'd feel the same way as you are feeling since you ran into some difficulty. At least you're not alone with fitting issues as it relates to BWOF patterns. It's going to take a long minute before I try them out (although I love the patterns submitted by subscribers). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gail, I found shoes to go with this fantastic ensemble:
    http://stylepantry.com/2009/06/21/style-find-missoni-converse/

    ReplyDelete