Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Good foundations

The more I tinker with tailoring, I realise that it is a form of structural engineering.  Just like a bridge or building, it is the bits that you can't see that provide the strength and longevity of the garment.  

My Anne Klein jacket is coming together nicely.  As you can see from the interior photo, this traditionally tailored jacket is fashioned with multiple layers of canvas and a softer flannel fabric to provide extra structure to the shoulder and arm hole area.  One of the key advantages of using underlining and layers of horse hair canvas is that as you wear the jacket the canvas conforms to your body and will never stretch out of shape.  It's not visible in the photo, but I've also used a shaped felt sleeve head which helps to keep the rounded shape.

I'm itching to finish this project and stitch something simple like a t-shirt. I need instant gratification!  Still to do are the hand-sewn hem interfacing, attaching the facings and sewing lining.  I've chosen a burgundy satin with a huge colour wheels for the lining.  It's not a lining fabric - one of those "what was I thinking" fabric purchases off a remant table at Tessuti.   

I'm going inter-state this weekend to visit my ageing father, so no sewing.  

10 comments:

  1. I've been following Alison Smith's two courses on Craftsy.com. She is a brilliant teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your jacket looks amazing and all that work means your jacket will last for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't regret putting all that work into the jacket. You got me thinking - I haven't hand tailored anything in such a long time - may-be it's time to undertake such a slow sewing project (but not until winter!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow there is a lot of work going on in this jacket, excited to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've put in so much work already! but t will be worth it, I'm sure. It's always amazing to me the amount of structural behind-the-scenes work is in a well tailored jacket. Something you never realised until you take up the challenge yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy tailoring too, but you have to be in the mood, don't you. I always associate it with the winter months. Ideally I would go to a class and build it up gradually over a full term, or even a year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy tailoring too, but you have to be in the mood, don't you. I always associate it with the winter months. Ideally I would go to a class and build it up gradually over a full term, or even a year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our team has years of design experience allowing us to fully understand the digital process in which we deliver to you. Custom cheap t-shirt printing in Sydney and Australiancheap t-shirt printing Sydney

    ReplyDelete