Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Street wearables


This post is a bit of a cheat.  I finished the skirt in December during my blogging hiatus.  Anyway I wore it up the street for lunch with my daughter and asked her to take a candid snap or two.  The thumb print in the corner shows just how seriously she took my request, but you get the general idea!  The pattern is 01/2008 109 from Burda magazine's golden age of plentiful and practical designs, printed on four sheets.  I made it up from a simple cotton gaberdine, that doesn't have any stretch.  I recommend sewing this skirt in a stretch denim as the diagonal shape of the pocket seam takes quite a lot of tension as you walk.  I had pocket rivets and a jean stud button (not visible) inserted by the lovely Mick at Quick Buttonhole Service in Alexandria.  May he never retire!  I love the man.

Speaking of love, I also love the princess seams at the back of this design.  They make fitting easy and create a flattering line over the booty.  

I made the t-shirt a few years back- another ancient Burda.

I'm currently working on some culottes from a 1970s pattern.  Meanwhile happy sewing!



5 comments:

  1. That skirt looks like a great basic! Such a versatile piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ancient Burda are such a treasure. You know you'd be paying a motza if you bought these retail! Great fit Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great skirt. You'll be able to get lots of wear from it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that skirt . The colour is a great basic.I have this issue so I'm going to have a closer look. My DD loves me to make her skirts like this with great shaping. I agree. Burda has morphed into something different than it used to be and I just don't buy it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that skirt . The colour is a great basic.I have this issue so I'm going to have a closer look. My DD loves me to make her skirts like this with great shaping. I agree. Burda has morphed into something different than it used to be and I just don't buy it anymore.

    ReplyDelete