Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Studio Faro Dinner Shirt


Anita at Studio Faro is working to expand her range of patterns.  I was thrilled to test her dinner shirt pattern which I started back in July before I went overseas.

I'm ashamed to say this sat finished but without buttonholes for nearly a month. Last night I dragged myself to the machine and did the deed.

Anita's pattern isn't available on her website yet, but look out for it.  She describes it as a "production-ready women's shirt pattern in nine sizes 6-22".  The instructions and seam allowances are geared to commercial construction, but not beyond the home sewer.

My vintage John Kaldor fabric worked really well with the pattern but tends to hard the design lines.  This traditional tailored shirt features a dinner shirt bib panel with princess seams, double layer back yoke and full gathered sleeves with continuous placket.  

I made a size 12 with adjustments only to the length which is suited to someone around 5 ft 7 in.  Next time I make this shirt - and there will be a next time - I'll add about a cm to the bust for wearing ease, but otherwise I'm very happy with the fit and practicality of the design. I'll also make more of a feature of the bib, perhaps with pleating or fabric variation.

I've finished a few other garments so will make the effort to post.  Love to hear your comments, meanwhile happy sewing!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Valerie! Agree with your comments on Anita's drafting skill. She is is also a wonderful and generous teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choice of fabric though - the fit looks great on you. Look forward to see her patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very versatile looking shirt and a great use of vintage fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful, Gail! Love the snake print fabric. Well done!
    Hugs,
    Tany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gail. Thanks so much for the mention. You're right about the length, especially in the sleeve. :/ We live and learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a real workhorse of a blouse. Lovely soft fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks lovely, although you are right, the design details on the front are kind of lost. That print is gorgeous on you though, and suits your colour scheme just beautifully.

    ReplyDelete