Thursday, September 3, 2015

The magic of the colour wheel



Emerald green has been described as the most magical, refined and elegant shade in the color wheel

I'm not sure I'd go that far in praise of the colour, but it does look amazing with so many other colours and suits every shade of skin and hair.  I bought 2 metres of this rich emerald/teal green ponte from Tessuti in 2013 when emerald was the major Spring colour trend.  The black ponte is also from Tessuti - a more recent purchase.

I missed the boat for being exactly on trend, pondering over loads of ideas for this piece of cloth over the years.  But the colour hasn't exactly gone away.  I must confess that the end product is the outcome of pattern laziness. Rather than trying to fit something new I reworked a recently made dress pattern Burda 10/2014 101 coupled with my standard simple ponte pencil skirt. These skirts are becoming staples in my business wardrobe.  I'm loving the A-Grade comfort and pop of colour they add.

My black ponte skirt works just as well under the peplum top.  Overall, I'm very happy with the outfit and feel that it is more versatile than the dress.  Pop by and let me know what you think.

Meanwhile happy sewing!

12 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful! Love the black accents and the exposed zipper. ...and versatility is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great on you and with the color blocking this distinctive outfit looks very different from the first one. I will say one thing about on trend color, The Emperors new clothes. Wear color you love and that looks good on you and f** the experts. Well that was two things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Nancy - wear whatever color you like and garners compliments. As I age this is more and more important! Karen

      Delete
  3. Green looks great on you, so I suggest you wear it even though it may not be an in color this season. The color blocking and style of the top make it a versatile piece that can be worn with other skirts and slacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this colour. As a sewer you are already ahead and beyond the trends so I would not give a toss about when or if it's the latest or last years. Turning the dress into s top and skirt was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it; you look so smart. The way you've arranged the colours looks great! interesting and chic, and I really like the edginess of the exposed zip too.
    I would probably describe this as turquoise rather that emerald, and anyway, one of the beauties of making your own is that we're not subjected to the whims of trends, hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite colors still and what a great job you've done! Kisses from Portugal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pattern is very interesting, I remember it. I love this color and the entire look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This design looks totally different in a fresh colourway. I love turquoise too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A really nice colour and colour blocking and I agree that making a top instead of the dress gives you more options.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A really nice colour and colour blocking and I agree that making a top instead of the dress gives you more options.

    ReplyDelete