Sunday, December 8, 2013

More dressing up


It was my husband who suggested a little black dress for my daughter's farewell to school cocktail party.  I am so glad he did as I felt very elegant and it provided the perfect showcase for the black wool damask I bought in Barcelona a few years back.

I used Simplicity 2648 as my base but made some changes to the neckline by deepening the front and inserting a V-shape at the back.

I wish I could claim it as my own, but I did not make my daughter's stunning off shoulder kaftan.  It is from Australian designer and old girl from her school Camilla Franks. 

Having made both her Valedictory dinner and formal outfits I felt I owed her a ready to wear piece that was unique and worthy of my hard earned cash.

I love the lining of my dress, which is black at the top and a satin animal print for the skirt.  My edgy little secret.

I've been taking drafting classes with Anita McAdam from Studio Faro.  The dress below is a sneak peak of my first attempt from my basic dress block.  After I ran this up, Anita  helped me make a few tweaks to perfect the block.

I hope to finish this and a few travel essentials before I head off to Italy in mid December.  Via tessuti!  If I don't have time to blog before departure, I'll be back in late January with tales of ancient cities, wine, fabric, leather goods and shoes.  Meanwhile happy holidays and happy sewing. 







22 comments:

  1. Hey Gail. Love your drafting work. You both look great and have a wonderful trip too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Gail, Your dress is very elegant. It will become a timeless pice in your wardrobe I'm sure. I've been doing quite a bit of drafting from my block this year, with the help of my sewing teaching. It's very liberating. I love that you can create exactly what you want. Your daughter's dress is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love the things you make. I hope you have a great trip and look forward to hearing about your trip. I hope you have a fantastic time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photo of you and your daughter is lovely Gail, as is your LBD. Have fun in Italy, sounds very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Husband was right - this is a great dress and a beautiful way to show off the fabric! You should enter it in the PR cocktail outfit contest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice! The style really shows off the gorgeous fabric. You both look chic as well as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress is lovely and you both look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very elegant dress, you look wonderful, as does your daughter in hers. Have a lovely time in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You both look wonderful, and well done on your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a special dress! Good luck to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous dress and it does show off your gorgeous fabric so well. Enjoy your holiday and all the best for the festive season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely stunning dress! both the black and the new colourful silk. I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous dress!! You both look beautiful. Enjoy your holiday and I hope you find lots of treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know damask came in wool, your fabric looks very rich and perfect for a stunning LBD. Lucky you heading off to Italy, I look forward to hearing all about your travels and seeing your wonderful finds

    ReplyDelete
  15. You both look lovely! I think you win with the best dress (sshhh).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such gorgeous fabric. I love simple lines mixed with fabulous fabric - no wonder you felt so elegant! It's lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dresses both look beautiful, and if you hadn't said which one you'd sewn I wouldn't have known! I really, really like the look of that next dress too - I hope that it isn't just a muslin!

    Have a terrific time in Italy and make sure you bring back some Italian food and fabric recommendations for us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow you both look stunning. Your LBD is fantastic and will be a great piece to have in your wardrobe for many years to come. Loving the look of the print in the dress in progress too, hope you can get it finished in time for your trip. Have a wonderful time in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Black was a great choice -- both of you look so beautiful! I like your use of different lining fabrics, something I never think to do. Have a wonderful trip to Italy, and I look forward to future posts about your new dress!

    ReplyDelete