Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pattern pyramid winner and THE frock

After another long absence I'm happy to announce Rhonda from http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com.au/ as the winner of the pattern pyramid.

I've been working on the 2013 big event dress - my daughter's high school formal - inspired by this fabulous gown worn by Lea Michele.  Actually given the likelihood of her wearing her formal gown again, we have agreed on a floor length sequinned split skirt and a halter top that can be worn later over jeans or a mini skirt.

Sunday afternoon was spent in a studio session at Studio Faro where I learnt more about pattern drafting and worked with Anita to create the pattern.  If you are based in Sydney or can visit, I can't recommend Anita's classes and workshops more highly.  She is an extremely knowledgeable and generous teacher.

The muslin was cut last night and I sewed the top. Magic fit first go.  It just needs a small gape dart in the section directly above the bust.  Hopefully I can finesse the skirt muslin this week to be ready to start sewing the 'real deal' on the weekend.  Working with $80 a metre, totally fabulous Tory Burch sequins the old adage of measuring twice, cutting one rings true.  Nay, make that measure THREE times!  

The skirt factory has been in full swing with two completed skirts - this geometric print ponte which I wore to my sewing guild meeting last Saturday and a plain black unlined pencil skirt that is wonderfully practical, lovely to wear but way too boring to post.  I've also made a cropped jacket that I don't love and is awaiting the right buttons that may change my opinion. 

Meanwhile...happy sewing!

6 comments:

  1. You're developing a very together collection Gail. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter's inspiration outfit looks fab - she will look amazing, and I'm sure it will be a much better fit than her friends' RTW outfits.

    Oh and I hope the new buttons make your cropped jacket more loveable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be one great outfit! Thanks for the link to studio faro - I'm always looking out for places like this. Good luck with the buttons as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look fantastic in your new skirt and dramatic wind swept hair! I see that a few sequined dresses were worn to the Brownlow Medal last night, so your daughter's outfit will be bang on trend

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like it will be such a beautiful outfit! I had my formal in July but I didn't make my dress, perhaps I should next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughters outfit is going to be amazing and your new skirts are very impressive.

    ReplyDelete