Thursday, December 20, 2012

Spots are contagious!




There is something dotty going on in Blogland.  As I was in the final stages of finishing my new Kay Unger Vogue dress I noticed that several of my English friends had posted their spotted frocks.

The lovely Jane from Handmade Jane made a Ruby dress, while Tilly and Buttons posted an equally sensational New Look 6000.

I just love everything about this dress - the fit is great, the silky lining makes it extremely comfortable to wear and surprisingly crisp looking after 12 hours in the office.  I originally bought this fabric with wide legged casual pants in mind, but it has been in my stash for while and that trend came and went.  I'd glad I went ahead with dress - its classic and can be dressed up or down to suit the occasion.

My sewing productivity hasn't been so great lately. I've just completed a major assignment at work so hopefully will have more energy/motivation to stitch.  I'm not one for SWAPs but like Robin I am thinking small sets - a dress, a top, a bottom and a jacket, then sew something that is just for fun - perhaps a kaftan or a swim suit.  I've boxed together some fabrics and patterns for this purpose.  The current set includes this dress, a cream ponte jacket, a burnt orange knit top, a black ponte pencil skirt and for fun, a border print kaftan top.  Can you believe that I have six other sets outlined on my computer?

I have so much fabric and many many patterns, so I'll need to be more disciplined in 2013.  Work through the stash and buy no more until I do.  I've decided having a big stash is a bit of an impediment to a coordinated wardrobe.  I have bits of this and bits of that, all gorgeous and good quality but the colours and styles are eclectic. 

So I are my friends in cyberland is a stash a good idea?

Happy sewing, and all the best for the festive season.

20 comments:

  1. I realy love the dress on look. Perfect for the holiday festivities. Joyeux Noel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spots too. Your dress is another great example of them!

    I don't find that my stash is an impediment to sewing. I have a fairly big stash - about enough for 4 years worth of sewing at my current rate.

    Working full time is much more of an impediment..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect dress for the hot summer days ahead! Great work on matching up this beautiful fabric with the pattern...J

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spots too and your dress looks fantastic! I am thinking the same thing - I will not buy fabric or patterns and just go through what I have. I'm trying to sort my sewing/computer room out and going though my stash is a wake up call!! I'm getting thought some during the holidays but everything else gets done before sewing unfortunately..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely dress and it looks wonderful on you.
    I have a rather large stash of fabric. It's a time saver for me as I can shop at home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Polka dots are perfect! The dress looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely dress! I have a spotted top that I wear all the time and with everything. My most versatile garment. Happy holidays to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you chose well making a classic style. I love dots too! Yes I need to organize my stash, I like having fabrics and pattern on hand but need more control =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great dress - very stylish and fresh looking. Great for Summer. Love the dots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a very pretty dress. It's so strange to see people in summer garments when the U.S. is in snow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely dress!

    I don't think that having a large stash is an impediment to my sewing, because I like having the freedom to pick whatever sort of project I feel like working on. I will say that my large stash is kind of an impediment to my wardrobe coordinating better, because I tend to buy prints that I like and not really consider what I have that goes with. Especially solids. Obviously I'm not making much of a dent on the stash until after the wedding dress is done, but I think I need to take some time and work through that pile so I can start shopping with more of a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You gotta love polka dots, specially if they come in the shape of this pretty dress. It is fantastic and you look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking dress Gail. Seems so strange to me to think you are in summer at Christmas time! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love spots as well and your dress looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dress is so classic and chic, and suits you to a tee! I'm *trying* to get through my stash too, but all the lovely new fabrics appearing in my favourite fabric store are making that tough ;) I'm such a sucker for fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great looking dress that you will be able to wear for a long time. Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look stunning on the dress! Great job. I have the exact feeling like you too about having too much pattern & fabrics in the stash. I am self banned my self to buy any more but that is absolutely not easy especially when i have a rare visit to the fabric shop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely dress.. My latest make was a spotty dress lol..my hey are very contagions

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic dress -- the style is so classic and really allows the fun polka dot print to be the star. Re: stashes, I recently went through mine and realized that, like you, I have bits and pieces of great individual fabrics that don't really go together. That said, it is fun to have a stash of fabric -- sometimes I can be inspired by a random piece that was purchased a while ago and forgotten for a time. Also, it is so hard to pass up new fabrics that are so gorgeous, so I think I will always have some sort of stash!

    ReplyDelete