This is first of my three Frocktoctober dresses using the 'Amazing Fit' pattern Simplicity 2648. Originally I'd intended to make a muslin of this dress until I remembered that my fabric (a polyester crepe?) was purchased for only $3 a metre at the Remnant Warehouse and my muslin cost just as much. So I settled for a tissue fit and fitting as I went.
Despite a few hiccups, I'm reasonably happy with my dress. The pattern includes different cup sizes and a curvy option for the skirt. Unfortunately I ran into difficulty right at the end. The dress fitted around the neck without the facing, but once I attached it it flopped and gaped open. I must have stretched it when steaming the interfacing down. I also suggest interfacing the sleeve caps. I didn't and the result is rather floppy - more like a ruffle than a cap. Still I don't mind this.
My quick fix was to hand stitch in two darts and add covered buttons to match the ones on the belt I made. I didn't like the simple buttoned tab at the front, and after forgetting to sew the buckle front bands into the front bodice, decided a belt was the way to go.
Next time I make this dress, I will line the top rather than use facings. This is a summer dress and an acetate lining will not do in Sydney's climate. So rather than put a silk lining in a cheap dress I opted for Hong Kong seams throughout. Much less comfortable than a soft silk.
The second of Frocktober is coming up. Think old kimono scarf, and gun metal grey duponi.
I also want to thank my two latest followers for finally getting beyond 99 followers! I have a give away planned to celebrate. Will post on this shortly.