Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Boho start to spring

I can't believe the weather we are having in Sydney. It is blue skies and 26 degrees celcius. I'm having a week off in between contract work, so went over to the Remnant Warehouse and bought loads of fabric. This dress took one and half hours to complete. It is made from mesh fabric that cost $3.50 for a 3 metre roll. If you have any ideas for the metre I have left post a comment.
I used the same self-drafted pattern that I made for my navy t-shirt. This time I added bell shaped sleeves. This picture doesn't show the details well. My daughter took it while talking to her boyfriend on the phone, so you can image who received the attention. The entire garment is serged, with a double layer of contrasting fabric for the hems.
I guess this dress is part of my overall experiment with colour. I like it, but don't love it.

Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

  1. I love your pattern alignment and the dress fits you like a glove-in a good way (I always get paranoid when someone says that to me-so please don't!)I bet the mesh is cool and it is perfect with the boots. Nice transition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice dress. You used that print to it's advantage--and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love the way you worked the print!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Did that Missoni project shake you into the world of prints? You've really done well with this one. Maybe a beach cover-up for the remaining metre?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your dress, the print and colors are very beautiful. A dress with boots is one of my favorite looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't, but I do...lol. It came out gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't have to love it because I do! I especially love the price and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful colours, so good looking to your blond hairs. I so much like quick done patterns having a great effect, like you perfectly present.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great colors! And such a stylish dress! What about a tote bag with the meter leftover? or a big floppy hat? or a nighty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this dress! The colours are great and really look good on you. I've never sewn with mesh; it scares the crap out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so jealous of your fabric find. What a gorgeous dress. Is it a stretch mesh? I have a metre of stretch mesh that I bought to try out this scary-to-me fabric. I thought I might use it to make the Jalie sweetheart T or the psuedo cap sleeve top from Vogue 2925 - I am planning to underline with a very thin, very pale beige rayon knit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dress looks great. We are having the most amazing weather here on the Gold Coast too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look lovely in that colour, your experiment with colour is doing you a great favour.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, bring on the color!! It looks really good on you, and looks like the dress fits very well too!

    I tagged you for an award meme at my blog, if you want to check that out. No pressure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am finally catching up on my blog reading. I adore this dress on you. Great fabric. Pattern alignment scares me...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this dress! The pattern is very cool, and you chose the right silhouette to show it off!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi,I have to translate first. Gail shoulders did not play very nice sitting patterns patterns

    ReplyDelete