Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Skirt Resurrected






It amazes me what I can achieve with a little persistence. My skirt is finally completed and judging by the photos, it survived a day of meetings in the city better than I did. Thank you to everyone who helped with the invisible zip.



The best explanation of how to sew an invisible zip can be found on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RneYzsqOyD0. I did not know that an invisible zip needs to be sewn on a completely open seam and requires a special foot. I should have twigged from the pattern which is illustrated with a lapped zip on the centre back seam. There is a box pleat at the base of this seam which will not enable a completely open seam.

So my corrections go as follows:

1) I unpicked the waistband, zip, side seams and hem.

2) I reduced the front the waistband which was too large and caused the garment to bulge out.

3) I redid my waist band with the overlocker to minimize the bulk in the seam width.

4) I installed the invisible zip on the side seam and closed up the back seam.

5) I overlocked (serged for the US readers) the side seams to reduce bulk.

6) I redid the hem.


My husband thinks I'm mad. The conversation went along these lines.

He "You unpick more than I sew."

She "But I'm learning from it. I won't do it again" (plaintively)

He "You don't learn to drive by crashing your car!"

She (unspoken) ...perhaps he is right.


Next...my grey and cream blouse based on Vogue pattern 8392 http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8392.htm. I'm making version C but with only 2 layers on the sleeve. I saw this pattern on Erica B's site http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/eribunk/Projects/v8392-7-1.jpg and loved it. My fabric is a viscose (imitation silk) and very light weight. Watch this space.
Also I am soooo excited to have a few followers. This really does motivate me when things get difficult! thank you sisters.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. Lots of you Aussies sew! I'm impressed. Your garden is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail, I think you've done a great job with this skirt. I was terrified of invisible zips for ages and avoided them at all costs. I first bought a cheap plastic Birch foot and it helped, but when I shelled out a whole $15 for a Janome one it changed my life! I'm glad to hear you like All Buttons Great and Small as much as I do. I've been inspired to make whole garments from buying buttons there! A SWAP is Sewing With A Plan. If you go to this link http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/board,37.0.html you can read about what we're all up to. I am participating this time because I have a habit of making things that having nothing to go with them!

    ReplyDelete