Saturday, March 7, 2009

Maya makes a mini


Progress has been made on the skirt. Followed a tutorial on Hong Kong seams and finished this unlined skirt really nicely. I used cotton tape rather than lining fabric cut on the bias. I think on a coat I'd definitely use lining fabric or satin ribbon bias tape, but it was fine for a skirt.

I had a lot of difficulty getting the size right. I initially enlarged the pattern based on the measurements on the envelope. Then took it in on muslin. As you can see, when I made up in the stretch fabric, it needed to be take in a whole lot more for a snug fit. The skirt is dark black (not grey as in the photos) made from a viscose, nylon, spandex mix. I'm definitely influenced by an Australian designer Mela Purdie http://www.melapurdie.com.au/ who cuts a lot of garments in stretch fabrics that are traditionally cut in a woven material.

Maybe I just hate ironing? Hope to finish it soon.




This weekend I was distracted by teaching my 13 year old daughter to make her first dress. We went to The Remnant Warehouse in Alexandria http://www.theremnantwarehouse.com.au/ to buy some cheap fabric in different weights for muslins and linings. I bought six rolls of fabric for $33! Maya came with me and was totally captured by FABRIC LUST! So I told my dear one that fabric lust must be followed by some hard work at the sewing machine. She bought some hot pink stretch lace @ $8 a metre and backed it with some cheap black nylon that I have from a previous expedition to TRW. Maya trimmed her garment with black satin bias tape. Her design features included a raw edge around the neck and a scalloped hem line. I think the results speak for themselves. Another sewer has joined the sisterhood!



Big sister is so not interested. Trekked off to Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras...a bit like New Orleans...everyone joins in...wearing a terrific little flapper style mini, killer heels and bright red feathered angel wings. Being young is so wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. Your daughter has made a fabulous dress - great work - you must be good teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I am going to check out the Burda patterns which you suggested. I like the idea of a feminine suit for the wedding! Your skirt is looking good. I love all the seams. Which tutorial are you using for the Hong Kong Seams?

    I love your daughter's dress--my 9 year old likes to sew/design barbie clothes right now!

    ReplyDelete