Progress has been made on the skirt. Followed a tutorial on Hong Kong seams and finished this unlined skirt really nicely. I used cotton tape rather than lining fabric cut on the bias. I think on a coat I'd definitely use lining fabric or satin ribbon bias tape, but it was fine for a skirt.
I had a lot of difficulty getting the size right. I initially enlarged the pattern based on the measurements on the envelope. Then took it in on muslin. As you can see, when I made up in the stretch fabric, it needed to be take in a whole lot more for a snug fit. The skirt is dark black (not grey as in the photos) made from a viscose, nylon, spandex mix. I'm definitely influenced by an Australian designer Mela Purdie http://www.melapurdie.com.au/ who cuts a lot of garments in stretch fabrics that are traditionally cut in a woven material.
This weekend I was distracted by teaching my 13 year old daughter to make her first dress. We went to The Remnant Warehouse in Alexandria http://www.theremnantwarehouse.com.au/ to buy some cheap fabric in different weights for muslins and linings. I bought six rolls of fabric for $33! Maya came with me and was totally captured by FABRIC LUST! So I told my dear one that fabric lust must be followed by some hard work at the sewing machine. She bought some hot pink stretch lace @ $8 a metre and backed it with some cheap black nylon that I have from a previous expedition to TRW. Maya trimmed her garment with black satin bias tape. Her design features included a raw edge around the neck and a scalloped hem line. I think the results speak for themselves. Another sewer has joined the sisterhood!