Tuesday, May 12, 2015

No boring business


 Clearly April's dress was not a winner in the popularity stakes, but what do you think of my Rigel bomber with a simple tube pencil skirt?  I am huge fan of Papercut patterns for fit, skillful pattern design and easy to follow instructions.


I bought the floral fabric on a whim from a designer fabric website Kristy recommended.  The piece was very small - enough for a pencil skirt (an obvious choice) or for a colour blocked jacket.  I did have a more structured jacket in mind until I saw just how well it blended with the mustard wool ponte that lived deep in my stash.
In theory I love this suit -particularly the back view- which I made as an antidote to boring grey business suits.  In practice I'm a little shy to wear it.  The feeling of needing to hide away wasn't helped by husband's comment to my daughter "Have you seen Mum's vomit jacket?"..."Bomber jacket!"..."Oh I thought you said vomit" (look of sheer innocence upon his face).  
I made it and some other items at an our annual Sewing Guild sewcation at Stanwell Tops.  I was joined by other bloggers; Sharon, Kristy and Beverley and 30 other talented soulmates.  Beverley posted some great photos on her blog.  If you don't get together with sewers in the real world, I recommend it.  We learn a lot and inspire each other.



17 comments:

  1. It sounds like lots of fun to get together and sew! Not sure about the suit for the office (as I sit here in my boring grey suit) but if you are brave enough, why not! The jacket would look fab with jeans too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks fabulous! Perfect for the office.I love yellow (but I am too sallow to wear it) and it brings some great brightness to the boring dark colours of winter. I looked through the DJ's or Myer (can't remember which) catalogue and thought "where's the colour?"... it's at your place! I agree with Vicki, it would look great with jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jacket is gorgeous and looks amazing in real life. I really liked it with the skirt and would wear to my casual office but not so sure in your role except for a very casual day but do they ever appear?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband is quite the comedian! I thought the outfit looked great on you, and you know that in the public sector nearly anything goes - you'll be the best dressed and the brightest in your office.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a marvelous print. I would have bought it if I had sew it too. You found the perfect way to showcase it. And yellow is so much on trend at the moment. Bravo Gail ! Bisous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new bomber jacket. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow and fabulous! I hope your work environment will be supportive enough to allow you to feel comfortable wearing this because it needs to go to work and get other peeps out of the grey and black ruts they are in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow ! Quite colourful but really pretty combo ! I find it's always hard to wear something that is really different the first time .After that,you feel more self confident. Go for it !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your jacket is a bright ray of sunshine in this cold weather. As Vicki said - fab with jeans and boots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are dubious about it for the office, why not try it out on Friday or wear each item separately toned down with something officey and booring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't listen to your husband - it's stunning! I hope you're going to wear it!! Have you got some killer footwear to go with it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love this outfit. I am glad you were brave. So many sewists seem to do the predictabe time and time again. The design, colour and mix of fabrics works perfectly. I am fairly brave at the office, but truthfully when it comes to yellow I just do a skirt or a jacket. I would separate these two and wear the jacket over a dark green, navy or grey dress, and the skirt with a white blouse, or a navy striped T and red cardigan for example. Or with purple tights and a purple top. Go for it! And I love the vomit comment - I do sometimes think prints (not this one by the way) with too many colours in them can look a bit like someone has thrown stuff all over the cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! this certainly packs a punch! I love it! So colourful and fun. I 'll bet it's the perfect antidote to a dreary winter's day. And florals are the very thing for spring too, so you're sure to get wear out of for ages yet. I hope you really enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just discovered your site via Kate Davis of Fabricated. Sounds like you enjoyed a wonderful day with her. I will enjoy following your future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  16. printed t-shirts Sydney-Vibrant australian company based in sydney's south west. Specializing in custom t shirt printing Sydney, t-shirt printing Australia & bulk t-shirt printing.

    ReplyDelete