Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Olé!

 
Been such a while since we've chatted and there is much to report.  After the little white dress I have been a veritable trouser factory churning out pants from the pattern I perfected in black linen.  I now have a white linen pair, including the front pockets so sadly missing from the black pair and the lovely grey wool pair pictured below.  This pair is fully lined and will be perfect when winter returns to Sydney town.  The fabric was purchased on my visit to the Goldhawk Road in London and I am so happy with the way they turned out.  I'll photograph the white pair when I finish a new blouse to wear with them.

After my trip to Spain I'm besotted by flamenco, so couldn't believe my eyes when I found this gorgeous cloth from the Australia designers Easton Pearson.  Thought for a long time that it was worthy of more than a skirt, but in the end, it seemed so obvious I went ahead.  I used New Look 0605 view D.  The pattern appears to be out of print, a shame as it includes a terrific, softly gathered faux wrap skirt in the options.  I overjoyed to discover that my fabulous flamenco perfectly matched 3 metres of Italian cotton shirting bought at a closing sale and sitting in my stash with no particular purpose.  Serendipity (the accidental discovery of something pleasant, valuable, or useful)!

My top is Vogue 8657 - a fabric hungry (the whole garment is self lined) but otherwise perfect pattern.  I cut a size 16 with a small FBA.  I'll definitely make this again, in a more drapey fabric.

Overall I love the outfit.  What to wear for business in a hot climate? Don't get me started.  This year I'm opting for this style of unstructured suits...so watch this space.

I was also inspired by Melbourne blogger Rachel to start my own balcony garden.  I have an unused sunny balcony 5 x 3 metres - a shameful waste of space.  I've planted spinach, lettuces, tomatoes, capsicum, eggplant, and a variety of herbs.  This photo was taken on the day of planting and I'm delighted to tell you that my tomatoes are pregnant and blooming.  All plants are doubled in size and the herbs have been harvested for variety recipes. 

So happy sewing ...and yeh to pregnant tomatoes.







15 comments:

  1. I love your new outfit. The skirt fabric is beautiful. Talk about serendipity - perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if you saw it but I left you a blog award on your last post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful outfit! Good luck with your vegetable garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous skirt! The whole outfit is absolutely wonderful. Isn't it fantastic when two fabrics just come together like that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fabric is over the top! I think you made the perfect decision with making it up into a skirt. The fabric deserves to shine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely skirt! So you´ve been to Spain and you didn´t visit! tsk, tsk! ;) I understand how you about flamenco ,I´m from the north of Spain where we don´t dance that and my jaw drops everytime I watch the girls dancing in their awesome dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That skirt fabric is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the flamenco skirt and you can have so much fun with colour tops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That print is quite magnificent! A simple design is the very best to show it off :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great print and it's even better because it reminds you of Spain too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that fabric is amazing! Such lovely colours and a great print, perfect for your skirt and that jacket is an excellent match too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great outfit. That skirt fabric is delightful!
    I'm very interested in your thoughts on business wear in a hot climate. I have the same problem in Adelaide.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the skirt. And I'm glad to have inspired you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that skirt fabric and your outfit well done . . Where on earth can you get easton Pearson fabric?? They are my all time favourite designers but I cant afford them I always think that they are my ideal aspration with colour and hand work as well as a bit of Bo Ho.

    ReplyDelete