Monday, January 3, 2011

Off to a great start in 2011






I'm not one to reflect too much on past achievements, so will not be reviewing my 2010 outputs. Rather, I'm looking forward to a great year of sewing - with a better sense about personal style.

This current project was commenced just before Christmas and interrupted by an idyllic week at Pearl Beach (pictured below) and a failed swimsuit for my daughter. I could do a whole post on why it is foolhardy to attempt a drawstring triangle bikini in a hurry for girl with D-cup but I won't. Lets just say it was terribly immodest.

My trench dress was inspired by this magazine story about summer trench dresses and a picture I saw on a street fashion zine of woman wearing a sleeveless trench coat over jeans and a striped t-shirt. I've jused Burda 4/2008 107, eliminating the pockets and lengthening the pattern by 27cms. This pattern is not as difficult as it looks, just a bit fiddly.
Now it is tantalisingly close to being finished - I have to finish top stitching the belt, do the hem and underarm bindings. Having put so much effort in, I have decided to outsource the buttonholes. Next projects - two much needed casual summer tshirts, a striped black and white ponte jacket, black pants and white linen blouse. I have enough fabric to last till 2012, so the projects will keep rolling in. Or at least that is the plan!



20 comments:

  1. That is one of my favorite trench patterns! It looks lovely, and will be very stylish worn over tee and jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking trench dress, and the pleats on the sleeves look very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've always loved that pattern - your version is superb. Your bikini making story made me chortle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful looking trench. Love the pleated trim at the armholes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic dress! I love the safari look. The pleated cap sleeve it wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted a trench dress...I even have the fabric! It is looking fabulous!! And I love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year! The dress is looking good so far - I'm really liking the pleated detail on the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year babes! The collar on the trench coat dress is amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the pleats! So awesome looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, can't wait to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of trench dresses and I actually made one that's still hanging in my sewing room. You can even see it in the background of some of my pictures from time to time. All it needs is a hem and buttons ... it's just that it never looks right when I put it on me. I love the cute little ruffle on the sleeve, very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous! Where is that photo from, is it from InStyle? I think I've got that magazine in my collection too somewhere, I remember looking at that very photo and wanting it too! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks so smart. I love the sleeve detail and the gun flap.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, SO SO CUTE! Why do I not have this Burda issue? This is the second version of this dress I've seen in the past year and it makes me pout to think I can't make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It look great! u did awesome job. wish we can see u wear it. look forward for more this new 2011 :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your trench dress looks great! I remember that pattern --- it is really a cute style. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished dress! My trench dress is stalled on the dining table --- pieces are cut out and ready to be sewn, but I just haven't made it to the sewing room. As you mentioned, patience is definitely needed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wandered around the Internet and found your blog. You make some cute clothes! Hope to find some inspiration as you blog. It looks like you have a great sense of style.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That dress is totally cute! I saw someting similar on the Russian Burda Community boards. I may have to steal your idea. Am obsessed with trench dresses :)

    ReplyDelete