Thursday, July 8, 2010

Still dreaming of Spring

This is my second dreaming of Spring, chanelling Leona dress for a weekend in Melbourne that is coming up. I'm attending a Bat Mitzvah, so need outfits for the Synagogue and the party. Two dinner parties over the weekend to cover as well.
Now I know that I have plenty of things on the hanger that would suit, but I'm attracted to the idea of a totally self sewn weekend.
This dress is made from black Mela Purdie jersey from my stash and a vibrant jersey print bought at the Tessuti sale. I love how vibrant the print is without being over the top. The pattern is a combination of my self-drafted plain tee-shirt cut to midriff length and the skirt from my previous dress, narrowed to allow for less fabric width. I added black satin piping to the front, and faux pockets with self covered buttons using the orange colour from the print.
Next up I'm making a long black buttoned cardigan from a quilted Mela Purdie black jersey. I'm drafting the pattern from a store-bought long cardigan in a sheer fabric. I wear this to death in Spring/early Summer and have always wanted a heavier version for the cooler months.
If I have time I'll finish some silk trousers I started making last year and a tunic blouse to match for the party. If not, I'm sure there is something to wear in my overflowing closet.
Perhaps I should finish my Chanel jacket?!!

14 comments:

  1. Mela Purdie sells fabric??? Oh dear, now I am in trouble.......
    Looks great. Your work is so professional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your outfit and how you have bound the neckline and sleeve hems with the print. Hope you are packing plenty of warm clothes for your trip to Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a beautiful job. Love your attention to detail.


    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress looks fab! Have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a gorgeous dress! Love the print.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress is lovely,I like the pocket flap detail, but where is the warm woolly coat for "Spring" in Melbourne? Will a cardigan be enough? (only teasing, my sister lives in Melbourne, and whatever season I visit I end up buying a jumper - or wearing my sister's clothes)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The details are fantastic. I love the pocket detail with the orange buttons and that print is great. The Chanel jacket could be a stunner at the festivities...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gail this is so pretty and I love the one in your last post. I do love prints although I try to tame my attraction to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dress is stunning! I love those colours in that print. Makes you feel warmer just looking at them! Hope you have a nice time on the weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love the detail of orange buttons! I hope you have nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dress is gorgeous!! I love how you put on the piping and the flap pockets...very nice! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely dress. It hard to think winter when it's so hot here. Hope spring shows up soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Leona dresses too. Your outfit is really neat.

    ReplyDelete