Monday, June 28, 2010

I've been tagged too

Judy over at Just Sew Everything tagged me. I've enjoyed reading other bloggers responses so I thought that I would have a go.

Which pattern/vintage style have you been thinking about lately?
A few actually. In moments of weakness I’ve bought vintage patterns on Ebay and I also have a few in my stash that have matured into vintage items through years of idleness. Three I want to highlight are Vogue 1688 a Vogue Couturier Design by Pucci from the 1960s. I’m not sure about the ensemble, but I definitely will make the coat in jersey ponte. I’ve found the right aubergine, now looking for a paler contrast. I’ll do the dress in summer with a Japanese cotton floral center and the rest in black. Next one of my mature patterns, Vogue 2176 wardrobe. I found some wild animal print velvetine in the stash that was bought to make a jacket and skirt for Rachel when she was nine. Am I brave enough to wear a long coat in animal print with a plain black dress under. Still mulling that one over in my mind. The skirt is the perfect partner for a secret project soon to emerge from my blog. Finally, a recent ebay purchase Butterick 3893. Originally, I thought it might be suitable for the leopard print, but I have some other ideas for that cloth now.
What's the one place you want to visit that you've never been to before?
One place? Come off it, I’m a traveller with big dreams and a half empty wallet. My next dream holiday is Spain, Portugal and Morocco. I also have retirement plans, a round trip from Greece through Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Egypt and back to Greece. A spell in the Greek islands would be civilised. I’m also up for a road trip around America visiting my blogging friends. I’ve got a friend in Chicago who is documentary film maker. Great concept just need a financer.
How do you relax?
Sewing is definitely part of my down time. I also read, go the theatre, and walk my dog. I’m blessed to live in one of the world’s most beautiful cities and have special places here – Balmoral Beach, Waverton Reserve and Centennial Park. I love dining at home or outdoors with friends – especially with a few bottles of good Australian chardonnay or shiraz.
What is your favourite holiday?
The best holiday I ever had I took on my own. My daughter was on an exchange scholarship to a private girl’s school on the Upper East Side of New York. I had eight glorious days in New York visiting. My days I had to myself, wandering wherever I wanted, seeing all the galleries and shops I wanted at my own pace. By night, I teamed up with my daughter, met her friends and her friends’ parents. We went to Broadway shows, ate in great restaurants and in some pretty swanky private homes. Perfect.
What is one sewing skill you want to learn/try out?
I am working on a new Chanel jacket using couture techniques. I’m learning quilted lining, and welt pockets and couture button holes. We had a workshop on the weekend at the sewing guild that helped a lot
Can you knit? Crochet? Other crafting talents?
I don’t knit or crochet. I do embroider. My proudest embroidery achievements were my daughter’s tallits (prayer shawls) made for their Bat Mitzvahs. I don’t have photographs of the younger daughter’s one which uses appliqué techniques. I’d love to try fabric art, but while the inclination is strong, I definitely don’t have time.
What garment/accessory do you wear the most?
My black ponte skirt - I've literally worn it out. My favourite accessories are a silver pendant I bought in Jordan, my collection of pashmina scarves (It’s been cold). I’m also fond of some red wooden beads on leather made by Elk.
How much time do you spend reading blogs? (Per day or per week?)
Too much. I follow too many sewer and don’t have the heart to unfollow anyone.
Your motto/mantra?
What the human mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
I’m also quite fond of “Life is too short to be idle”, but both husbie and the DD’s tell me that I sound totally manic when I say it.

I think at this point I’m meant to tag others. Like Judy, a lot of the sewers I admire have already been tagged or are always chosen. So I’m choose
j.kaori designs Who sews the most incredible, unique garments with style and finesse
Jorth A fellow Aussie sewer from the other end of this wide brown land who deserves more attention than she gets, and
Miss Muslin An Aussie of style who went to the US to beat the Yanks at their own game. She says it was for love, but we know!
Sadly, I’m all out of blogging time.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Gail.
    I accept and posted this morning.
    LOVE the Pucci pattern. Yes you can make an animal coat, I have one slated for September.Join me.
    Get over here and take a class in NYC. You've been good, you deserve it!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Pucci coat, and love it that you're also going to make it with a contrast as in the envelope photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your vintage patterns and am very envious that you are learning some couture techniques to make your new Chanel jacket.
    Also, I think an animal print coat will be fabulous - go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for playing! I love the peek into other sewers' minds. I absolutely love love love that Pucci pattern - I can't WAIT to see that made up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make the animal print coat or else I will come in the night and steal the fabric to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gasp - I am loving the Pucci pattern too!
    I must check out your Chanel jacket - I've just joined the sewalong too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the tag, Gail! I have to post my responses soon. I love your Pucci pattern and of course the places you listed for your dream holiday. There is never enough time (or money) for travel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore that pucci pattern, so stunning! Oh your dream holiday sounds perfect, can I steal that itinerary for my dream holiday too?!
    Can't wait to see your couture Chanel jacket!

    ReplyDelete