This is my second blouse from Simplicity 2614. It is from a beautiful silk remnant that I've had in the stash for two years. I made some piping in cream dupont silk for the shoulder seam only and did not bother with the tie. For this version I followed the pattern directions cutting the back and the lower front on the bias and the front bodice on the straight grain. Having done the blouse both ways I prefer the fit and feel of the garment cut on the straight grain. The only thing I don't like about it is the neck facing. It could sit a little better, so I think I'll replace it with black satin bias tape on the weekend. If I do another one in a 'slippery' fabric I would self-face it by creating a double layered bodice.
I went to the Remnant Warehouse on the weekend and bought some great pieces of fabric for a total of $44. My loot included a 1.5 metres of brown and white cotton, matching piping, 3 metre piece of wool mix boucle, a 5 metre roll of red suiting, 2 metres of charcoal grey wool, 3 metres of navy blue cotton sateen and a lovely 2.5 metre piece of navy and red chiffon. I felt greedy but there was so much good stuff I was like a kid in a candy store. Suddenly I have an enormous stash - something I am not particularly approving of. The guilt will keep me on my minimum one garment a week sewing regime.
And then to my delight my newsagent now stocks Patrones!!! Issue no.286 is filled with inspiring designs for blouses and coats so I will certainly put it to good use. Next one is available on March 13.
My next project is another kaftan in the cotton, then I'll think about doing something different before I bore you all.