Monday, April 6, 2009

Black and tan in progress

This dress was only ever intended to be a muslin. The drab brown jersey was bought way back when brown was ‘the new black’. Made up the shell of the dress and thought great fit, lets go with it. Went into Tessuti's looking for a notion, but was distracted by this black sheer fabric with brown embroidery on the border. My imagination was sparked. Has anybody else tried a contrast insert on BWOF 01/08 106a?
This is my first BWOF pattern – there is something to be said for German precision. I love the way every piece fits exactly the way it should. I traced four patterns on the weekend and made a list of about 30 (yes!) from my newly acquired collection of 2008 issues that I would like to make over time. When I finally get my hands on February 09 for that drawstring blouse everyone is making I think I will have every pattern that I will ever need. I’ve noticed that many of the basic shapes are the same from issue to issue – the design is in the detailing. In the interest of thrift I’ll only buy future issues if there is something really innovative or difficult. Or wait a year and the distributor will sell them for a song.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh so pretty. I love that insert!!! Makes it really special!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really coming along. The dress is gorgeous. I agree with you on the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know where we can get past BWOF issues for a song here in Aus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice! I love the deail of the sleeves. Very original!

    ReplyDelete