Tuesday, November 29, 2011

There is nothing like a wet weekend

There is nothing like a wet weekend to boost sewing productivity!  Saturday in Sydney was torrential rain, followed by a steamy Sunday. Saturday was also Sewing Guild meet so I managed to finish four projects.
I'm a recent convert to New Look patterns.  My new polka dot cotton blouse New Look 6808 is way out my comfort zone but I'm very happy with it.  The pattern has four collar variations and four sleeve variations, so I expect that I'll make another version before too long.  The closure is zipper on the side seam.  While the pattern uses a fully opening zip, I inserted an invisible zipper and closed the seam at the hip.  This works very weel.  I also added red piping around the collar for a retro feel.

Remember the Donna Karan jacket that I cut a muslin for last summer?  Well I took advantage of our fitting workshop to piece it together and resolve a few difficulties.  I'm now really looking forward to making this up - it's another tricky jigsaw puzzle but the results are very pleasing. 

I also finished my maxi dress Simplicity 3503.  I'm also quite pleased with this, although I have some advice from the fitting expert on how to raise the sides.  I need to find a skimpier bra to wear with it.

Also finished another basic tshirt from lovely butter soft pinstriped jersey.  The sleeves are hand hemmed and there is a twin-needle hem at the base.  I've probably made this pattern six times now.  Time to try something new.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Princess Gail

There's nothing like a ball to stir up the inner princess in every girl.  Last night I finally had the chance to show off my ball outfit and think I scrubbed up pretty well.  Excluding earrings and hairdo, the total cost of my princessery was $85!  Danced the night away and it felt wonderful!!

The skirt is based on Burda 12/2008 125 with adjustments to change the design from double fronted to centre fold.  I used horsehair stiffening in the hemline to emphasise the fishtail hem line.

I changed my mind a dozen times about the blouse as I wanted something practical that I would wear again.  The Japanese fabric origami patterns intrigued me but they are very fabric hungry and I wasn't sure that silk would hold the structures well enough.  Husbie and DD  also convinced me that the design should be quite simple to highlight the skirt. 
In the end I opted for an olive green silk wrap blouse which I created from a Vintage Vogue dress pattern from the 1980s.  I created the cap sleeve by cutting a half circle on the centre fold.

I've also completed a version of Simplicity 3503 which I'll show you in my next post.
Posted by Picasa