Friday, October 29, 2010

Frocktober 3 - A lazy girl's guide to BWOF 6-2010-102

I have completed my 'Frocktober' challenge - three dresses by end of October. I have one to work in, one to lunch in and now one simply to relax.
My dress was made with Sydney summer in mind, a light silk billowy sort of dress that catches the sea breeze. I used silk bought from the Remnant Warehouse for $2.50 a metre.
The old adage "you get what you pay for" is true you know. The fabric I can only describe as Lohanic. Like its namesake Lindsay it is beautiful but cheap and difficult to control. Also like its namesake my Lohanic dress has gone through several style changes. I made one bodice, beaded it with bronze pieces and shook my head. Mini-me said it looked cheap and tacky. I agreed with her. I bought deep red rickrack for a new bodice I cut, but decided to reserve it for another use. I made the ruffles and loved them. Mini me and I were in rare agreement on style issues.
Initially I made the pintucks prescribed by the pattern. They were as crooked as Lindsay on a Saturday night. I couldn't bring myself to go through all that pinning and basting again, so I shirred the front. Hence the lazy girl tag.
I intended to make a maxi dress. I've not worn a maxi since the 70s and felt silly and fat in that riot of red and orange. Mini-me said leave it long but subconsciously I didn't agree and had a cutting accident with the hem that forced me to crop it mid calf. Much more flattering for me.

Will I make this again? You bet! Next time a top in high quality indigo coloured linen bought from Tessutis. With pintucks!
Next up I have promised Mini-me two new bikinis, but don't expect pictures.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Its the second of Frocktober

This is the second of three dresses for Frocktober. As you can see I've joined the McCalls 6069 bandwagon. This is an easy dress to sew but takes longer than the one hour recommended on the pattern jacket.

I plan to wear it to a Melbourne Cup luncheon next week. The fabric is so perfect for this dress, purchased on line for $7 a metre.

I'm nearly finished a more complicated project, so am on target to complete my Frocktober challenge.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

First of Frocktoctober

This is first of my three Frocktoctober dresses using the 'Amazing Fit' pattern Simplicity 2648. Originally I'd intended to make a muslin of this dress until I remembered that my fabric (a polyester crepe?) was purchased for only $3 a metre at the Remnant Warehouse and my muslin cost just as much. So I settled for a tissue fit and fitting as I went.

Despite a few hiccups, I'm reasonably happy with my dress. The pattern includes different cup sizes and a curvy option for the skirt. Unfortunately I ran into difficulty right at the end. The dress fitted around the neck without the facing, but once I attached it it flopped and gaped open. I must have stretched it when steaming the interfacing down. I also suggest interfacing the sleeve caps. I didn't and the result is rather floppy - more like a ruffle than a cap. Still I don't mind this.

My quick fix was to hand stitch in two darts and add covered buttons to match the ones on the belt I made. I didn't like the simple buttoned tab at the front, and after forgetting to sew the buckle front bands into the front bodice, decided a belt was the way to go.

Next time I make this dress, I will line the top rather than use facings. This is a summer dress and an acetate lining will not do in Sydney's climate. So rather than put a silk lining in a cheap dress I opted for Hong Kong seams throughout. Much less comfortable than a soft silk.

The second of Frocktober is coming up. Think old kimono scarf, and gun metal grey duponi.
I also want to thank my two latest followers for finally getting beyond 99 followers! I have a give away planned to celebrate. Will post on this shortly.

Posted by Picasa

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Its Frocktober

While Mini-me and her Dad were failing in their attempt to scale Mount Solitary with 15 kg backpacks and no ropes, I was failing my attempt to have a few fabulous, uninterrupted sewing evenings. I did sew, but the results left me feeling well ...meh.

The best of my three finished tops is this one from embroidered Swiss voile using Simplicity 3887. I found this pattern ran very large and I had some trouble fitting the neck pieces were I made adjustments.
Next was my 'bland basic tshirt' using a remnant of Mela Purdie jersey and Vogue 8392. This is not strictly speaking a knit pattern so the fit is not as snug as you might want in a tshirt. For a summer business top it works tucked into my khaki pencil skirt. I hand finished the neckline, hem and the sleeves with blind heming stitches so it doesn't look too casual.

The striped tshirt is another re-run of Simplicity 2614 which has definely become my TNT pattern. To test the capabilities of my new overlocker I did rolled hems on the sleeves and the base. The stripes are a bit overwhelming for me and I can only wear this tucked into a black pencil skirt or trousers. I think it needs a black or grey narrow ruffle around the neck and down the front seam - so consider this a work in progress.

I also traced and fitted 4 more Burda patterns for my next projects. So all in all, my time was not wasted.

I'm over tops for now...this month is FROCKTOBER! Perhaps you want to sew along and complete three frocks by 31 October.